A proposal, dreaded by the porn industry, that would have mandated condom use for adult performers on-set throughout the state of California, was essentially defeated in the legislature today.
The bill by L.A. state Assemblyman Isadore Hall would have expanded L.A. County’s own mandatory condom rules to reach across the Golden State.
The industry was dead against it and threatened to leave California if it was passed by the legislature and signed into law by Gov. Jerry Brown:
AB 1576 breezed through the Assembly and was cruising through the Senate when it hit a roadblock in the Senate Appropriations Committee earlier this month.
The bill had put the committee’s legislative slate over a budget limit and was thus tabled temporarily. However, today it was not “voted out” of the committee, essentially killing it, at least for this legislative session. The porn trade group known as the Free Speech Coalition said the bill was “permanently shelved.”
Laird Hamilton is a surfing legend and legends never die — even, apparently when they tempt fate on massive waves before a beach full of gobsmacked onlookers.
Watch the man purported to be Hamilton — who news reports confirm has been in the area — catch a huge wave at Surfrider Beach in Malibu before shooting the pier like a true daredevil. “Shooting the pier,” in surfing lingo, means to ride a wave through the gaps in a pier’s support posts. It’s dangerous. It’s risky. When pulled off successfully, it’s totally badass. Hamilton also appears to be riding a standup paddle-board, no less.
The video (just ignore the cameraman’s leering coda, by the way) was posted to YouTube on Tuesday. Southern California beaches have drawn thrill-seeking surfers this week as huge 10- to 15-foot waves caused by Hurricane Marie pound beaches.
But as epic as Hamilton’s apparent shooting the pier was, the story took a tragic later Tuesday when another surfer in the area died after being pulled from the water and a Malibu Pier piling was knocked loose by the violent surf.
The Scottish musician brought in a reported $66 million in the past 12 months. In a statement to the magazine, Harris credits his success to the recent surge in the popularity of the EDM scene. He says the “rise in dance music has been astronomical in the last three years” and that he “happened to be in the right place at the right time.”
Apart from Calvin’s solo singles like “Summer,” and “Feel So Close,” he has also released hits with pop stars like Ellie Goulding, Rihanna, and Florence Welch.
Runner-up on the “Forbes” list is French DJ David Guetta, who earned $30 million in the past year. Rising stars Avicii and Tiesto are tied at number three.
Check out the top 12 below!
1. Calvin Harris – $66 million
2. David Guetta – $30 million
3. Avicii – $28 million, Tiesto – $28 million (Tie)
4. Steve Aoki – $23 million
5. Afrojack – $22 million
6. Zedd – $21 million
7. Kaskade – $17 million
8. Skrillex – $16.5 million
9. Deadmau5 – $16 million
10. Hardwell – $13 million
11. Armin van Buuren – $12 million, Steve Angello – $12 million (Tie)
Several dozen suspected terrorist bombmakers, including some believed to have targeted American troops, may have mistakenly been allowed to move to the United States as war refugees, according to FBI agents investigating the remnants of roadside bombs recovered from Iraq and Afghanistan.
The discovery in 2009 of two al Qaeda-Iraq terrorists living as refugees in Bowling Green, Kentucky — who later admitted in court that they’d attacked U.S. soldiers in Iraq — prompted the bureau to assign hundreds of specialists to an around-the-clock effort aimed at checking its archive of 100,000 improvised explosive devices collected in the war zones, known as IEDs, for other suspected terrorists’ fingerprints.
“We are currently supporting dozens of current counter-terrorism investigations like that,” FBI Agent Gregory Carl, director of the Terrorist Explosive Device Analytical Center (TEDAC), said in an ABC News interview to be broadcast tonight on ABC News’ “World News with Diane Sawyer” and “Nightline”.
“I wouldn’t be surprised if there were many more than that,” said House Committee on Homeland Security Chairman Michael McCaul. “And these are trained terrorists in the art of bombmaking that are inside the United States; and quite frankly, from a homeland security perspective, that really concerns me.”
Facebook has announced a change to its News Feed that is aimed at minimizing “click-bait,” or stories that attract users to click on a story but may not offer much substance.
The social network revealed the change in a blog post on Monday, citing continued pressure from users to present better content in the News Feed.
To do that, Facebook is employing a metric becoming increasingly popular across the Internet: time spent on page.
“If people click on an article and spend time reading it, it suggests they clicked through to something valuable. If they click through to a link and then come straight back to Facebook, it suggests that they didn’t find something that they wanted,” Facebook employees Khalid El-Arini and Joyce Tang wrote in the blog post.
The change could have a major impact on digital media companies. Facebook has become one of the most influential publishing platforms, driving major traffic to sites that have a strong following on the site and are able to get users to share posts with friends.
Burger King wants its customers to use its new branded mobile app for Android. It wants this so bad, the fast-food company is giving away Android smartphones. This promotion is quite a bit more advanced than the usual “Jungle Book” toys or “Star Wars” glasses giveaways.
The 6.0 magnitude earthquake that rocked Napa County early this morning was the strongest the San Francisco Bay Area has felt since the Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989. And despite some reported injuries and property damage, it looks as if a disproportionate number of victims were the premium wines for which the region is famous.